My Poetry, Philosophy, Thoughts and Ideas.

11/30/2004

Helen Keller, sculptor of our hearts

 

No one can appreciate a sculptor's work more than the blind, to a sculpture, the touch of the blind is like giving life energy to every part of his work. The blind sees the vision of every curve and speaks the honesty of expression in their caressing and exploratory touch, which is full of curiosity and attention every moment, profundity and search every other. Unlike the eye which traps and the mind that ignites creating a like or dislike for these visual arts , blindless vision is unadulterated expression of a much more intimate contact which is nameless and which with every touch  and every time creates a new dynamism of dialogue, a deep relationship which seeds the chracteristic to extend among nature and other fellow humans.

 

Helen Keller born blind and deaf on the French Sculptor Jo Davidson

 

"Until i came to your studio, I had often seemed to move in a deaf blind studio show, but you multipiled my powers of feeling, reflecting and observing as you worked, and now there will be a new significance in whatever there is left for me to accomplish. You confirm the truth which has always burned into me- spiritual exalatation is not enough. We must also lift our earth horizon or we shall always profane our high thinking by mean living."

 

"My fingers cannot get the impression of a large whole at a glance , but i feel the parts and my mind puts them together"

 

Hellen keller on Rodin's Statue 'The Thinker'

"I recognized the force that shook me when my teacher spelled 'w-a-t-e-r'.. Often before had my deliverance caused me to wonder, but not until then i perceived clearly how my teacher hewed my life bit by bit out of the formless silent dark as Rodin hewed the mind genesis out of the rock"

 

I feel handicapped with my senses comparing it with her, having taken for granted the beauty not only of the form and light but that lay in the formless dark. Calling her a prodigy would be to limit her and par with so many others who enhanced their skills and intellectualism, she enhanced the very fabric and meaning of life with abundant courage, her rare but pruposeful avatar which inspires, motivates and wonder many. Amidst the inundation of tears i remind myself that she lived a joyous life of what she had and what was to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home